January 30, 2011 Series: Stand Alone Sermons
Topic: Special Event Passage: Acts 11:19–11:30
We all have experienced ‘going viral.’
What happens when the gospel goes viral and then the church goes viral?
In our churches, in some ways, we are always on the verge of viral.
I. THERE IS PLENTY OF EVIDENCE OF THE EARLY CHURCH GOING VIRAL.
A. The viral growth is due to a ‘sickness.’
B. The viral growth is geographical.
C. The viral growth is multi-ethnic: all people groups.
D. The viral growth is in numbers of people.
II. WHEN THE CHURCH GOES VIRAL IT REPRODUCES “COVENANT COMMUNITY.”
A. Covenant Community is based on the gospel of Christ. (19-21)
B. Covenant Community is expressed in gathering. (22-26)
1. Viral growth is spread through unnamed pioneers.
2. Viral growth is encouraged by godly leaders.
3. Viral growth is accompanied by joy and gladness.
4. Viral growth is focused on the Lord.
5. Viral growth is strengthened by Bible teaching.
C. Covenant Community is expressed in giving (generosity). (27-30)
D. Covenant Community is expressed in going. (13:1-3)
III. AS HARVEST GOES VIRAL IT WILL REPRODUCE “COVENANT COMMUNITY.”
1. the Message of the Gospel. (Acts 2)
- First, the revelation: "Jesus – Immanuel, Death, Resurrection, Exaltation.”
- Second, the response: “Repent, Believe, Baptism, Forgiveness, the Holy Spirit.”
- Third, the results: a “new community, new mission, new destiny.”
2. spread through unnamed pioneers.
3. encouraged by godly leaders.
4. accompanied by joy and gladness.
5. focused on the Lord.
6. strengthened by Bible teaching.
7. produces generosity.
8. reproduces itself.
Serve the Lord moment by moment.
Serve the family daily.
Serve the church weekly.
Serve the community monthly.
Serve the world yearly.
Serve the kingdom for life.